Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Photography: New years eve 2010

And finally, it was here, new years eve. I was waiting for this day since November when we went out to see and shoot Guy Fawkes night's fireworks at Alexandra Palace, North London. I did shoot some photos there but, as a first hand experience I could not actually claim the beauty of those photos to be mine. So preparation and studies went on, so was time.


6 people, my housemates. 5 of us were photographers and one had a little Handy-cam (let me tell you, that is very HI-TECH), so I might call him a "video"-grapher! Destination: Westminster Station, closest place to London Eye, where the fireworks was supposed to take place. Anyways, we had to fight among us (which eventually was formed in three groups of 2 guys each) to fix the time when to go there. As I had experiences to go there but to see noting apart from huge crowd and getting squashed (!), I suggested to go early around 1500 hrs. Later, we set off around 4pm and reached there by an hour.


We got separated as soon as we arrived, Me and Mortuza ended up on the Southwark bridge as planned. Mizan, Mitul bhai, Raiyan and Amio bhai left for some other place. As we got settled, now we had to wait for 6 hrs for the fireworks to start. So we started shooting.





London eye



Big Ben with huge crowd


But taking photos was not enough to make me warm in that freezing cold. So, I decided to fetch some coffees and eventually ended up spending £10 for 2 cups (!) And that was not all, luck was inching at us with every bit of misery. We were told to move out from there around 8pm by when the place was almost packed. Finding no way out, we had to move to other teams place. ♩♬♪ We had joy, we had fun♭♫♪ ... but we did not see fireworks. Guess what happened there, we have been subjected to move out as that place near Westminster pier, sadly was not included as viewing areas.


Disappointment overwhelmed us and cold weather was not really helping to be friends. So all of us started walking towards Golden Jubilee bridge JUST IN CASE we get any space. But luck failed us miserably; only some pass holders were allowed to go up the bridge as it was getting full up.


Disheartened, we were on the road again, lost all the hopes and walking across the roads, looking for some spaces, so we can set up our tripods and might finally take some shots. I found a little space to squeeze in, between a bus stop and a huge lamp post. Later on, Mortuza came over and shared that place with me. Others moved around and finally settled down by 11pm.



London eye from my stand


Well I was quite happy with my place, although it was not arguably the best place! Kept on waiting in that natural refrigerator with the a downward rising temperature around 1 degree. I was wearing 4 full sleeve vests excluding my heavy overcoat and 2 trousers. However they never seemed to be enough. And on top, everything the DJ, was amazingly entertaining us with his out of standard selection of songs and his boring humour. Nothing helped, nothing at all ... Shaken, frozen, wrecked and ripped "me", kept on smoking and checking the time, "When this all will end?". 


Last minute was the longest, as usual ... and finally the countdown begin. Earth was shaken with the constant never-ending scream of the crowd and went on with the countdown 9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1  ...


Fireworks 1


Fireworks 2


Fireworks 3


Fireworks 4: The Final Blast

Couples kissed, friends hugged, friends in distances were missed, everyone wished everyone, whether known or unknown with the best wishes for New year 2010 ...


Sadly, I was not entirely happy with my shots yet, I cannot certainly deny that was one of my best new years eve with all my good mates. In the middle of the whole crisis that night, some of my friends were actually planning to leave. I was one of them, teamed up with Raiyan (who eventually ended up having arthritis pain the later day). But thanks to Amio bhai and Mitul bhai, who were stopping us. In the mean time, Mizan left, although he was able to set himself on the Golden Jubilee Bridge without any pass. Due to cold weather and his confidence to think himself a Superman (wearing lighter clothes), he finally left us. Sorry for him ;)


Our energetic, yet exhausted little team. They still look happy dont they?


Hahahah, definately Mitul bhai was hungry enough to have gone crazy


Although we had loads of disappointments, sufferings, yet, it was a vibrant and  really beautiful new years eve, with friends, brothers, our little family, leaving thousands miles away from our home. It was joyous event to remember and to share. Some of us wont be here next year, some new faces will be joining us. But no one cant be ever replace and who ever wont be here, will be lot missed. And finally in the end it was a new start, a new day, a new year. 

Happy new year and hopes are high to have a more successful year, with full of joy and love.

4 comments:

  1. Cool New Year, Anikus boy!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it was! Huge thanks to my friends and brothers. It was them who made the day! But I cant deny, I missed you ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice , everything very beautiful, the pictures, techniques of photography awesome, cool!

    Regards
    Mehraj
    New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Seeni. Your comment was really inspiring. By the way, our names are same! Thats an incident ...

    ReplyDelete